Friday, March 20, 2009

Time Flies

It's been ten days since I've written a post. During those ten days, I've managed to turn 60 years old. I just can't believe how fast time goes these days. Remember back when you were a kid and you could hardly wait until you could go to school? Then the time came and you had another goal. You couldn't wait until you were in Jr. High or High school. Next on the list was the age of 14 when you get your learners permit to drive. And then 16, when you could legally drive anytime, anyplace. It wasn't long after that and you started looking forward to graduation from high school and when I was a kid, the age of 18 when you could legally buy a beer. That one has changed. At 21, you were truly an adult and ready to take responsibility of your own life. Well, for many of us that was at 18, but for some reason that I can't think of right now, it was good to be 21. Maybe because you graduated to stronger drinks than beer. From 21 on, things went downhill. Instead of looking forward to the milestones, you begin to dread them. Oh, no, I can't be 30, 40, 50 or more. And now, 60!! What do I have to look forward to? Retirement! Hmmm, I'm basically retired right now, but in 3 to 5 more years, I can get social security and all that good stuff.

I sound as if I'm complaining. Really, I'm not. I'm thankful for every day that I have. I'm thankful for having my parents, my husband, my children, my grandchildren, my family and my friends. I'm thankful that I live in the United States, even with the problems we are having right now. I'm thankful for the great advancements that have been made in medicine and health care and looking forward to even more advancements in this direction. I'm thankful that I can see the sun, the moon and the stars, that I can hear the birds sing, that I can smell the flowers or the rain, that I can feel the emotions of love and taste the german chocolate in my birthday cake (thank you, Pat).

Today my mom turns 82. Today I'm especially thankful for her presence in my life.

Happy Birthday, Mom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For some mysterious (actually obvious) reason, I can relate to just about everything you wrote. Hope your mom had a very happy birthday yesterday. I sent her a card and some entries from Grandma Smarty's diary, but they may not have arrived in time for her birthday since I was a little late getting them in the mail.