Friday, May 15, 2009

Old Friends

I can hardly believe that it's been over two weeks since I've posted. Where does time go?

On Mother's Day this year, Al and I went to see my mother. His mother passed away the year after we got married. Dad had started dinner, turkey breast, potatoes and dressing, and when I got there, I took over to finish up. We had a wonderful salad, the turkey and all the fixings. For dessert, Jackie and Darrell came over. I had made a carrot cake with a cream cheese frosting, a sugar-free pumpkin pie and low sugar apple and peach pies. Mom constantly told me to leave some of the desserts, especially the cake, because she just doesn't get many sweets. Dad just grinned and made comments about her little stashes around the house.

What a pleasant surprise when Mom and Dad's neighbors from years ago showed up with their son. Gene and Helen lived 1/4 mile or so down the road from my first home. They had two sons, Mickey and Jay, and a daughter Caroline who died at a very young age. Other than aging, Gene and Helen seemed like the same people I loved when I was a child. Now Jay, the son who brought them, was the youngest of the boys and I hadn't seen him in years. It took me a minute, and a glance at Gene, before I realized just who he was when he came to the door. We had a nice visit. I'm happy that we changed our minds about having Mom and Dad come here because if we had done it that way, we would have missed seeing old friends.

No comments: