Monday, January 19, 2009

Lilies of the Field

Matthew 6:28
And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin.

I just watched the movie Lilies of the Field. It's been years since I saw it, and I remembered liking it so much that I thought I would watch it again. As with many great movies, I saw things this time that I didn't notice before, or maybe I had just forgotten.

The passage in the Bible is Jesus talking to the people. He is telling them that if they have faith in God and seek his Kingdom first, then God will provide them with what they need. The nuns in the movie did just that, and God did provide.

Beyond that wonderful message, I noticed that there was quite a mixture of people. There were the nuns who came from Germany, the black man who built their chapel, and the Mexicans/Indians who helped to build the chapel. The priest and the man at the diner were both white Americans. The nuns were, of course, Catholic, but the man who built their chapel was Baptist. The man in the diner was a bit unsure of his faith.

The coming together of these people and their religion produced a chapel for them to go to for worship.

This is what I consider a Circle of Relationship. Race, religion and heritage did not matter. All that mattered was that this Circle of Relationship brought forth love, understanding and a beautiful chapel that the people would be able to use for years.

Hats off to my cousin Mary for her work with Habitat for Humanity. This is another great example of working together for something good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen Lilies of the Field in years. As I recall, Sydney Poitier is one of the actors. What a handsome man he was and still is! I can't help but think that entertainers such as Sydney Poitier, Bill Cosby, and Oprah Winfrey have helped pave the way to the election of Barack Obama. I think Tiger Woods also helped make white Americans more "color blind." All I can say is it's about time!